I need swatch X-rated information

Swatch Frequently Asked Questions

Moderator: Moderation Team

akitaishi

I need swatch X-rated information

Postby akitaishi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:33 am

Hi , collectors.
I realised that this swatch GB406 X-rated is particularly expensive and popular. It looks plain looking to me and dont seem to be in limited edition. Is anyone there who is able to explain to be why this watch is so expensive and popular ?
Is there something that i have overlooked ?

regards,
Akitaishi

swatch.home.pages.de

Re: I need swatch X-rated information

Postby swatch.home.pages.de » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:56 am

akitaishi wrote:Hi , collectors.
I realised that this swatch GB406 X-rated is particularly expensive and popular. It looks plain looking to me and dont seem to be in limited edition. Is anyone there who is able to explain to be why this watch is so expensive and popular ?
Is there something that i have overlooked ?

when it was released in 1987, the watch was not too much popular. It became interesting later. Here is a text that I found in an ebay auction about the watch which explains a bit:

X Swatch as some people call it, has been one of the most successful Swatch ever. The phenomenon of X signed has been passed into years of history and generations. X also symbolized many things such as... Lately X also becoming Icons for popular culture of the X-Files, Generation X, Malcolm X, X-Men, X-treme Sports, and many others. Swatch made this special Swatch in 1987, just in time when X-hat became the most popular hat in the world. Some called the hat as Malcolm X, while another called it Malcolm the Tenth (as a joke in late night with David Letterman). This popular Swatch is still pursued by many collectors and most of the X Swatch proud owners has worn the watch at least once.
http://swatch.home.pages.de All the latest news and infos from the world of swatch watch collecting!

Rob

Postby Rob » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Fact remains that the price is being created by supply and demand and apparently the demand is high and the supply low.

akitaishi

The root reason

Postby akitaishi » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:19 am

Rob wrote:Fact remains that the price is being created by supply and demand and apparently the demand is high and the supply low.

Yea, that would be a standard answer quoted from any book on economics. What i wish to find out is the reason behind the demand for this X-swatch and why people would pay over 300 USD for a mint piece.

I personally find that it has a mysterious appeal. Simple, yet loud and symbolic. It's a classic that stands out among the other vintage pieces.

regards,
Akitaishi

Drew!
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Drew! » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:10 am

yes i do.

Drew!
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Drew! » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:11 am

The Swatch X-Rated or more commonly know as the swatch X watch is in such high demand for one reason, Straight Edge, a Subculture closely tied with punk/hardcore music, Straight Edge, is a label / lifestyle in which a person chooses to live life for themselves free of addiction,and societal pressure its very large subculture fueled by music, Straight Edge people tend to be proud of their decision, and this is where the x watch comes in. the symbol for Straight Edge is the X, and this watch has become a collectors item among the community, popularized by bands. there are even knock off versions of this watch. heres some links. hopes this is helpful.... also if anyone has one and is willing to sell it for a reasonable price. ($300 is not) please contact me.

x watch at show. if you browse other pictures you will see more examples.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/holdingthi ... 986439145/

the knockoff:
http://revhq.com/store.revhq?Page=search&Id=XWATCH

(i had to have one post before i could post html links)

lauramoncur
Official Member
Official Member

X Watch and Straight Edge

Postby lauramoncur » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:11 pm

Here is a better example of the X-Watch phenomenon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greet_death/401093689/

ivanjh
Beginner
Beginner

Postby ivanjh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:57 am

what a cool looking swatch.

thx for the info.

SwatchJimmy
Beginner
Beginner

Postby SwatchJimmy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:03 pm

akkitaishi wrote:
Rob wrote:Fact remains that the price is being created by supply and demand and apparently the demand is high and the supply low.

Yea, that would be a standard answer quoted from any book on economics. What i wish to find out is the Bathmate https://peblueprint.com/bathmate-review reason behind the demand for this X-swatch and why people would pay over 300 USD for a mint piece.

I personally find that it has a mysterious appeal. Simple, yet loud and symbolic. It's a classic that stands out among the other vintage pieces.

regards,
Akitaishi

I was able to get this one on ebay for $240. So if you paid 300 it sounds like I got a good deal.
Last edited by SwatchJimmy on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hans

Postby Hans » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:24 pm

For that price it is not going to be a new one. Look out for what you buy! Since they are almost thirty years old now you may expect even new ones to break very soon. If one wants to wear it I would value a rebuilt one much higher than an old one. They will not bring you years of pleasure. I know, I repair a lot of them.

Breksingkkh
Beginner
Beginner

View the latest post

Postby Breksingkkh » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:09 pm

I noticed this as well, when I click View Latest Post on the thread topic it just seems to refresh the page and doesnt do anything.

Return to “Swatch FAQ”